Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services
Consulate Health Care centers offer post-acute services for those patients who no longer require an in-patient hospital stay but
who are not ready to go home. Our outcome-oriented rehabilitation therapy programs help patients rebuild the strength, function
and mobility needed for a successful return home. Comprehensive rehabilitation services are provided in-house at every Consulate
Health Care Center.
Rehabilitation services include Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy. Our rehabilitation professionals are
licensed therapists who are specially trained to meet the complex needs of patients recovering from a wide range of illnesses or injuries.
Physical Therapy helps patients regain their highest levels of functioning and mobility, and fosters a return to independent living,
whenever possible. Our Physical Therapists evaluate patients and develop individualized treatment programs.
Physical therapy services include:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Gait and functional training
- Muscle re-education
- Range of motion therapies
- Modalities for pain management
- Post-surgical orthopedic rehabilitation
- Balance and falls prevention
Occupational Therapy assists patients in gaining the skills necessary for independence in their social and physical environments.
Using a wide range of interventions, Occupational Therapists adapt tasks and modify the environment to enhance each patient’s ability
to function as independently as possible.
Occupational therapy services include:
- Education and training in daily living skills such as dressing, bathing, eating and grooming
- Sensory-motor treatments for strength, endurance, coordination and balance
- Therapeutic activities for memory, orientation, cognitive integration and daily life skills
- Perceptual testing and training to maximize functional abilities and safety
- Splint fabrication for proper positioning, tone management, and edema and pain reduction
- Prescription recommendations for adaptive equipment and specialized seating and positioning
- Community re-integration skills to allow for independent performance at home
Speech-Language Therapy addresses the needs of patients with communication problems, as well as swallowing dysfunction, by designing
treatment plans to address functional abilities and promote optimal interaction within the environment. Our Speech-Language Pathologists
design a treatment plan relevant to each patient’s needs.
Speech-language therapy provides:
- Comprehension skills for written and verbal communication, including the use of augmentative systems when necessary
- Cognitive status, which may include memory, orientation and reasoning skills
- Oral muscle strength and functioning for speaking and swallowing
- Swallowing skills and techniques with the use of treatments and modalities such as VitalStim
Learn more about our Alzheimer's and dementia care.